As you may or may not know, today marks the 30th anniversary of the £1 coin, and Moneysupermarket.com have asked me to share 30 ways that I would save £1 (or maybe even more). Now most of you may have read my other money saving blog (which I sadly deleted as I wanted to focus on this one) but money saving is still a big part of my life, as I'm currently saving up for a house!
I've decided to make it more appealing to my blog readers and by including tips that I think you will all like and use - so I'm going to split it into sections - shopping, beauty and fashion! (plus a few others you may not know)
1. Sign up to cashback sites such as Quidco and Topcashback. You'll get money back when you shop online (and sometimes in store). Most shops are on there so it's worth checking!
2. Always write a list, so you know exactly what you're getting and don't buy more of what you don't need.
3. Bulk buy when items are discounted, especially items like deoderant and cotton wool which you'll always need.
4. Take cash when you shop and leave your card at home. That gives you a limit and you can't go over.
5. Cut bottles and tubes open. When you think you've finished it, you probably haven't!
6. Make your own hand scrub using sugar and oil.
7. Put mascara in a cup of warm water to loosen it and get more out of it.
8. Store nail polish in the fridge so it lasts longer.
9. Make your own facemasks instead of buying from the shop. (There are lots of recipes online!)
10. If your trousers are too short, cut them into shorts.
11. Wear shoes on opposite days so it gives them time to repair and they'll last much longer.
12. Search for clothes in charity shops - you'll get good finds!
13. Switch saving accounts after introductory offers are up.
14. Turn your heating down by just one degree (you'll save £100s per year)
15. Make your own gifts for friends and family (Pinterest will help you!)
16. Make your own lunch/coffee each day instead of purchasing (even just trying this for one week will help you see how much you can save from doing this)
17. Leave your car at home and walk for just one journey a week can save you money!
18. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.
19. Visit all toothpaste websites and get free samples of toothpaste (They all do them!)
20. Check all insurance quotes to make sure you're getting the best one.
21. Set a budget, and reduce it every 3 months/6 months (even by just £1!)
22. Set up a direct debit to your savings account on payday (even just £1)
23. Don't throw away odd socks - use them as dusters.
24. Keep bananas seperate from other fruits as this stops them going off so quick.
25. Cook extra when making dinner and freeze it for those lazy days (stops you buying a takeaway)
26. Turn lights off if you aren't in the room.
27. Make your own! Anything from cakes, biscuits, bread etc.
28. Grow your own vegetables and herbs.
29. Instead of buying gifts, offer to provide a service instead (e.g. free babysitter for the night)
30. Have a clear out and sell on ebay or at car boot sales!
What tips do you have that I haven't mentioned? Let me know in the comments. Or even feel free to do this blog post yourself - the details are here.